¥100,000 Japanese Government Support Money. Do you qualify?
Friday, April 24, 2020
Details on qualifying and the procedure for receiving support money from the government.
In response to the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic the Japanese government announced that as it will be handing out ¥100,000 to everyone in Japan regardless of nationality. The requirements to qualify for this money are simple.
Here are the conditions to qualify.
1) Three months of residence
Foreign nationals applying for government money have to have been living in Japan for at least three months and have an official residence status in Japan.
2) Basic Resident Registration (住民基本台帳 - jyumin kihon daicho)
All individuals seeking government support money must be registered in the Basic Resident Registration System as of April 27, 2020. Registered in the system should be the following information: name, date of birth, sex, address, as well as information unique to foreign nationals, such as nationality/region, status of residence, and period of stay.
What is the Basic Resident Registration System?
The Basic Resident Registration System is a record of all residents in Japan. Initially designed for Japanese nationals, it was expanded to include foreign residents in 2012 (who were previously under the Alien Registration System). The system is the basis for basic public services and also allows the Ministry of Justice and the Municipalities to keep up to date records on all foreign residents.
The system require for residents to submit a "move in" and "move out" notification to the respective municipalities.
Who is covered under the Basic Resident Registration System?
- Medium to long-term residents (those who have been issued residence cards) who have been granted permission to reside in Japan for more than 3 months.
- Special Permanent Residents
- Those granted permission for "Temporary Refugee" or "Provisional Stay" status
- Foreign nationals who are to stay in Japan through birth or who have lost Japanese nationality
3) Certificate of Residence
Foreign nationals who have a registered 住民票 (jyuminnhyo - certificate of residence).
To read more about the Basic Resident Registration System visit the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Website (in English).
How to Apply for the Money
- You will receive an application form from the City Office where you have registered your jyuminhyo (Certificate of Residence).
- The head of each household (as designated in the jyuminhyo) must fill out the application form and send it back to the City Office that it was sent from.
- A copy of either your driver's licence, My Number card, or Residence Card must be included with the application form. *
*Those with a My Number card can also fill in the application online.
For a step by step guide on the application process visit: How to Apply for the ¥100,000 Coronavirus Government Support Money
The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications has set up a hotline for inquiries regarding the ¥100,000 support money.
Support is available in the the following languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portugues, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, and Nepali
Phone numbers: 0570-066-630（Navi Dial）
03-6436-3605（IP Phone, PHS）
Hours: 8：30～17：30（Monday - Friday）
For more information visit the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Website (Japanese only).
To read about Visas/Residence Status and renewal visit: Visas and Government Support for Foreigners During the Coronavirus in Japan
About the Author
I've been in Japan so long that I say my heart is Japanese. And still this country impresses me from time to time. In those moments I think, "That's why I love living in Japan."