How to Apply for the ¥100,000 Coronavirus Government Support Money
Saturday, May 9, 2020
Step by step instructions on the application process.
The Japanese government has started distributing the ¥100,000 support money to all residents of Japan as of May 1, 2020.
All municipalities have started the "mail in" version of the application, but many municipalities have set up the online system for the application process to be done online. Currently there are 679 municipalities that are accepting online applications. The entire list can be found in the Japanese version of this article, or on the Ministry of Internal Affairs Website (both in Japanese only).
General flow of the Application Process (Infographic)
*The infographic below is an adapted version of the reference infographic put out by the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Please note that this is not an official translation.
For the complete document issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs please click here.
Using the Online Application System
Requirements to use the online application system (Japanese only):
- Those who are registered in the Basic Resident Registration System as of April 27, 2020
- Those with a My Number Card with a registered digital signature
- Those who are registered as the head of the household at their local municipality
- Go to the マイナポータル website
- Select the municipality of your residence
- Select 「特別定額給付金の申請」(application for government support money)
- Confirm your personal information
- Click on 「申請する」(apply) to submit the application
- Compete with your digital My Number card signature
The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications has set up a hotline for inquiries regarding the ¥100,000 support money.
Support is available in the the following languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portugues, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, and Nepali
Phone numbers: 0570-066-630（Navi Dial）
03-6436-3605（IP Phone, PHS）
Hours: 8：30～17：30（Monday - Friday）